Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Perfection is Possible in Prayer


 

Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul,
and with the firm conviction that Your will governs all.


Lately I've been waking up with brilliant ideas, only to realize after I fully wake, that I'm not as smart as I thought I was.  Usually I wake thinking I'm really funny.  But lately I have been feeling brilliant. 

This morning, after a week of many accomplishments and more disappointments, I woke with this thought...

How perfect do I expect my life to be and what is my definition of perfect? 
And what is reasonable?

 



I've had a hard week. 

I've had a great week. 

I did well in my new job, I planned a lovely retreat, the retreat was cancelled, my computer crashed, we might actually have a few more days left to back it up before I MUST buy a new one, I had a cold, I'm over my cold, my aunt died and I couldn't go to the funeral, and a few things too personal for this blog... But I'd have to say... I don't think it could have been any better, while I am sure it could have been worse. 

I am glad I didn't focus on only one of the many recent events.  I am thankful that I was able to stay calm in the storm.  "How?" you ask?   I attribute it to the following prayer.


The Morning Prayer of Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow


O Lord,  grant that I may meet the coming day in peace.

Help me in all things to rely upon Your Holy Will.

In every hour of the day, reveal Your will to me.

Bless my dealings with all who surround me.

Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul,
and with the firm conviction that
Your will governs all.


In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings.
 

In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by You.
 

Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others.
 

Give me the strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring.
 

Direct my will.
 

Teach me to pray.
 

Pray Yourself  in me.
 

Amen.


I'd have to say, I think the prayer was heard.  I encourage you to practice this prayer. 

Prayer is a very powerful thing.  It is often under estimated.  Why do I pray?  Why do I value it?  It's not just because it works.  In my head, I visualize a sign at the gates of heaven (like in restaurants) that we must have seen yet missed on our way to earth that read:  I am God.  I reserve the right to control your life.  If you ask Me, I will help you.  If you follow Me, I will lead you.  If you deny Me, I will deny you.  Do your best.  So long as you persevere you will be ok.  But if you give up I can't help you.  I reserve the right to control you life.  It's the only way LOVE is possible. 

Why do I pray?  I pray so that God can intervene.  I pray to welcome Him into my life.  I pray so that I might learn how to love by living according to His will. 

So I encourage you to pray the prayer of St. Philaret.  It might help you to also see that our expectations of perfect are all dependent on if we are living according to God's will for us or our own.  No matter what happens, if we are searching for God's will and doing our best to live it, our life will be perfect according to His expectations. 
 
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite prayers.

Unknown said...

Woah! That was quite an escalation of events. It was such a deluge that you had to put a stop to it at some point. At least, the computer crash thing is rectifiable. I think it would be good for you to get a new unit that would be more durable. All the best!

Cordia Remsen @ RB's Computer Service

Vassi said...

Oh, Cordia, thank you for the morning giggle and your good advice.