Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Fifteen Bean Soup Takes Fifteen Minutes to Prepare (but 5 hours to cook in a crock pot)


This soup is a Lenten staple for my husband.  I rotate this and various bean dishes throughout Lent so he doesn't get too bored. 






 

  • First I want to be sure there aren't any pebbles in the beans, so I pour them onto a plate and search through the dried beans.  I use 1/2 a bag of beans (because he's the only one who will really eat this.)

 



     
     
  • I pour them into a bowl, rinse them with cool water and put into a crock pot.
  • I turn on the crock pot on HIGH and add:
    • 1 can tomato sauce (or one small can tomato paste)
    • 2 cans vegetable broth (Lately I buy the box of broth and measure it out in the tomato can.)
    • chopped vegetables: 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and 1/2 onion.

 




 
 

 

 

 


Add seasoning to taste... but add salt towards the end.  The vegetable broth has plenty of sodium.



If you like it soupier (not sure that's a real word) add more broth or a cup of water. 








1 comment:

Vassi said...

Great! The trick to Greek is Oregano! :) Hope it all works.

thanks for your comments.