Monday, April 08, 2013

Lenten Meal Plan- Week #4


Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6
 
What continues to surprise me when I meet an adult who doesn't keep the fast is his justification for his choice, "We didn't grow up fasting."  "We didn't grow up fasting" is not a justifiable reason to ignore the fast.   It shows no growth, no initiative. It's a terrible answer. But, it is an honest answer.   And it even gives me greater momentum to encourage all of you to teach your children to fast. If you don't teach them to fast, there is a greater risk that when they get older, the will not fast and they will miss this blessing, this gift from God to repent.  There are several ways to teach children to fast that won't starve them or rob them of their necessary nutrients.  Talk to your parish priest for some ideas that can help you  offer your children a successful experience. 
 
We have just completed three weeks of Lent and have four more to go! Our Journey is half way over. This is a good time for us to stop and ask ourselves:
 
·   "Have I tried my best to get to the extra church services?"
·   "Am I planning my meals so I can have a successful fast?" (french fries and spaghetti more than twice a week is not a successful fast.)
·   "I have been overly distracted with food that I've neglected to be charitable?"
Most importantly...

 
·   "Does my life (or behavior) look any different than it did 3 weeks ago?"
 
These are good questions that I'd like to encourage you to stop and ask yourself.
 
This Week's Meal Plan
 
This is what I am planning for this week!
 
 
 
 
SUN- Bean Soup and fresh bread

MON- Shrimp and Rice and a Salad.  

TUES- Baked Potatoes with Veggie Chili and Cut Vegetables.


THURS- Veggie Soup and Fried Zucchini

FRI- Morning Star BBQ (Meatless) BBQ Ribs and Potato Pancakes

SAT- Lenten Dolmathes (still didn't get to them last week) and Briani so I don't have to cook on Sunday.

No comments: