Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Five Steps to Baked Tofu

Recipe called for:

  • 2 tofu cakes, vacuumed packed. (10-12 oz)
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 2 T cider vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2T chopped onions
  • 1/2 c water
  • 1/2 t minced, pealed, fresh ginger
  • 1 t packed light brown sugar
I didn't pay attention and used one block of tofu. Grrr.  But I added 6 medium sized mushrooms and quartered them. The mushrooms kept it from being too salty but a second block would have been better.

I also did t have ginger so I used mint. Wish I had ginger.  Ginger is a great root to cook with.



Step One

Weigh down tofu to release liquid- 30 minutes.




Step Two
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Step Three
 
Combine remaining ingredients in a 9X13 or 9X9 baking dish. Set aside.







Step Four
 
Cut tofu in 3 horizontal slices and then cut into squares (or triangles) and place in baking dish.  Turn to coat tofu with ginger sauce.







Step Five
 
Bake 35-45 minutes and turn several time.  Tofu is done when ginger sauce is absorbed and ginger sauce is gone. 



Step Five
Serve over rice. 
















 













2 comments:

Liz said...

Just what I needed; a recipe that adds flavor to tofu. Thanks so much! Maybe I'll actually use that tofu that's sitting in the cupboard. Liz

Vassi said...

The tofu should have been refrigerated. I hope it's not in the cupboard. :) And yes! TONS of flavor in this dish.