Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hummus a Few - Yeah, I Knew That Tune!

Hummus is  a great Lenten food.  To read about its virtues go to http://www.livestrong.com/article/280687-nutritional-value-of-hummus/ 
 
To make hummus- keep reading.
 
I will first admit that although I used to (years ago) make the best hummus, recently it seemed I just couldn't get it right.  It wasn't creamy and it wasn't the right flavor.  So I called a friend from the Middle East and she gave me her recipe (below) and explained what I was doing wrong. 
 
First you have to :
  • Crush 2 cloves of garlic (you can roast the garlic first) and mix it with 1/2 t salt. (Mistake #1- I was adding onions but not garlic.)
  • Don't use onions.  Use garlic.
     
    Then:
    • Drain 1 can of chick peas and add 3 T of Tahini to chick peas and mix in food processor. Discard juice.

    
    Don't save juice from can.  Dump it and use cold water
     
     
     
  • Add 1/4 c lemon (juice from one lemon), 1/4 c cold water and 1T olive oil.
  •  
     
     

  • Process some more till smooth, like cake batter
  •  
     
     
     
    Until it's a cake batter consistency. 
     
    Now, HERE'S THE TRICK!!! According to her cookbook, lemon makes it thicker and water makes it thinner!  Who knew?!  So if you want the spread to be thinner, add water.  (Mistake #2- I kept adding the wrong liquid and couldn't figure out why it was so thick.) 
 
Put in bowl. Top with fresh parsley and drizzle with olive oil.  Serve. 
 
 

No comments: