Monday, April 01, 2013

Small Shells in Clam Sauce

 
 
Just a quick dish I whipped up since I didn't make it to the grocery store today and I didn't have what I need to stay on my Meal Plan. I reached for my Lenten Staples and came out with this delicious dish.
 
 

  • I boiled small shell macaroni in one pot. (Remember I like to have a variety of macaroni in my pantry so I don't get bored with spaghetti.  Any macaroni will do.)  I cooked the whole pound since I knew my son wasn't going to eat what I was making and he'd want some with spaghetti sauce. 
    • Yes, I serve him sauce from the jar once in a while.  He'd pour ketchup over any wonderful dish I served him so I don't mind.  I'm just beating him to the punch.
  • In a small saute pan, I heated up some olive oil, threw in 5 chopped green onions and 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped.  
  • Waited a bit and then added chopped parsley and chopped fresh spinach
  • Added a can of chopped clams, with the juice.  Having cracked a tooth last month (on koliva) I am chewing everything on my left side till I can see the dentist next week, so I went ahead and chopped the clams a bit more before I added them to the pan.
  • When the macaroni still had 2 minutes to cook, I scooped 3 ladles full of macaroni with the some water it was boiled in and added it to the pan. 
  • I added another ladle of water from the pot to help the macaroni finish cooking.
  • I dissolved 1 T Corn Starch in 1/4 c warm water (I actually used the can with the clams so I wouldn't get another thing dirty)  I wanted to thicken the sauce.
  • Squeezed a lemon into the mix, careful not to add the seeds, and  gave a few shakes of dried dill
  • I let it sit on the stove a bit longer to do it's magic and voila! 
  • The whole dish took 15 minutes. 
It's so yummy!!! 
 

No comments: