Sunday, April 07, 2013

My Famous Chocolate Cake!

 
 
Today the Sunday School sponsored Coffee Hour and so I brought my Famous Chocolate Cake.  Well, famous here at my address.  It's so easy and moist that you will want to make it every chance you get.  It calls for vinegar and baking soda to substitute the egg and believe me, you don't taste the vinegar.  If you are still worried, you could add some Lenten chocolate chips, crumbled Oreos or walnuts.  (I just thought of adding crumbled Oreos and will definitely try it the next time I make this cake.  I wonder what it will taste like.)  
 


To start, you need to preheat your oven to 350 and grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine 3 c flour, 2 t baking soda, 6 T cocoa, 1 t salt, 2 c sugar.  I stirred it with a whisk to evenly balance the dry ingredients. 




Then I added 3 T vinegar, 2 t vanilla, 3/4 vegetable oil, and 2 c cold water and beat well till blended. I was just fine mixing it with the whisk.  No need to get another thing dirty.



Pour it into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, until you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.

 
I let it cool on the stove top, sifted powdered sugar on top and served it from the pan.

 
 It is so moist and yummy! It doesn't need icing. 
 

3 comments:

mcollins said...

I've made this twice in the past 24 hours! Yummy! thanks for sharing a great recipe!

maria said...

I have been making this cake since the 70's! I now substitute half GF flour with regular because I can no longer have too much flour grains..coconut flour is a good option..however you will have to experiment with liquids....for some reason using the GF grains and coconut flour requires more liquid. I use Coconut water, Beet broth, coffee, or different left over teas instead of water. Rasberry , fig or mint vinegars-even red wine also add a nice flavor, as does almond or other flavors in place of vanilla-a tsp or 2 of cinnamon as well -----I've substituted carob for cocao! Even with variations, this cake always comes out yummy!

Vassi said...

Thanks, Maria! Great suggestions!