Wednesday, August 19, 2015

All Are Not Prophets





“Do you hear God?”
That’s what I asked an old professor at the seminary. Some days, he acted in a way I had imagined a Fool for Christ would act, loud and offensive at the worst times.  Whenever he walked into a room, you knew things just got more interesting.  Yet, this Old Testament professor had a depth of knowledge reserved for genius and a heart of gold.
He didn’t hear me, so I said it again.  “Do you hear God?”
“What?! Hear God?!  If we could hear God, we wouldn’t need the prophets!”
I remember this when I come across people asking why God allows things to happen to people…or worse yet, when I hear people explain why God allows things to take place.  This has happened several times since a dear friend of mine found cancer in her body.  It showed up like a weed.  Like a blade of grass that grows in a crack of a driveway, it forged its way into her body.
Cancer.  There, I wrote it again.
It’s so hard to say. I can’t even imagine what it’s like for her, but she says it all the time, like she is trying to convince herself that it’s there.  I hear people making excuses for it, desperately searching for a silver lining.  Maybe it’s because of this…  Maybe it’s a result of that…  Maybe it’s so that God could… (Full Article: http://myocn.net/do-you-hear-god/ )
 

No comments: