Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It's Not Too Early for Christmas Planning and Christmas Cards

It may seem too early to be talking about Christmas, but the older I get the more planning it requires.  Gone are the days when just showing up with a wrapped gift was enough.  Now I am the one hosting the holiday and so I am the one who has to prepare.
 
We will have a simple meal but I need to be sure the freezer is empty enough to for the spanakopita I hope to make in advance.  I might even make a pot of dolmathes.   
 
And then there are the Christmas cards.  I like to send them out on Christmas Eve if not the day before.  Our family enjoys the holiday celebrations from Christmas to Theophany so I try to send my cards around that time.  But who has time to address envelopes when company is coming? 
 
Our newest card is at the printer and we are taking pre-sale orders.  I like that it has the message of the Annunciation more than the birth, because the Annunciation is what started the whole miracle of Christmas.  When we reduce Christmas to snow and mistletoe or even a baby in a manger, we miss the bigger picture.  Christ's birth all began when a young girl said "yes" to God's will, and with her "yes" salvation came into the world. 
 
 

to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph… and the virgin’s name was Mary. And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”  Luke 1:26-28
 
 
 
 
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.  John 1:14
 

“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” Matthew 1:23
 
You can find these cards and more at

No comments: