Saturday, November 02, 2013

The Turkey Says It All

So, I am thinking a lot about Thanksgiving even though it's 4 weeks away.  It isn't the pressure from the featured grocery aisles or the sappy commercials as much as the memory of getting sick the week before Thanksgiving that is lighting a fire under my skillet to think of the menu and outline
preparations.



I am struggling to offer a "simple" meal of roasted Turkey, mushroom gravy, Theo Louie's stuffing (a Haros family recipe,) sweet potatoes drizzled with melted butter and brown sugar (no marshmallows please,) homemade cranberry sauce, broccoli salad, zucchini cornbread and spanakopita.  Whew!  If you were wondering, I cut out the mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and Greek style green beans. 

Why is Thanksgiving intertwined with iconic food?  I tried suggesting that we avoid the sweet potato to cut back on the carbs this year, and it didn't go over very well.  I hinted at a different stuffing recipe, a family recipe from my side of the family, and that got the kibosh as well.  What is it about thankfulness that inspires nasty looks when the menu is tampered with? 

I'm not really complaining.  I'm just reflecting.  I'm happy to serve everyone what they want for their Thanksgiving meal, so long as I get my 2 pieces of spanakopita.  (And not just any spanakopita, but the kind my mom makes.)





Look for recipe posts in the next few weeks. 

No comments: