Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Braids and Twists

I am working on a braided rug for a Christmas gift.  It's been a sweet project to work on and I love the way it is coming along.


I've found myself in a bit of turmoil over it though.  First of all, it looks very pretty. It's so nice I was tempted to keep it for myself. This blog post is a promise to actually gift the rug. 

Second, I wasn't so sure I liked the idea of people walking all over my pretty rug.  I know it's the purpose of a rug...  I could try to make a placemat or a trivet for her, but she really needs a rug for the shower.  I'm comforted knowing it'll be used for clean feet. 

Finally, I hope it doesn't fall apart.  I could have used the zig zag feature on the sewing machine to connect it all together, but I lose the shape of it when I do. The braid is too thick for the presser foot, even without tension, so I am hand stitching it. It's nice to control the pattern and shape, and it's a good thing my friend knows how to sew, in case it comes apart. 

I'm all out of old Tshirts, but I did see a variety of colors at the Salvation Army store for $1.50 each.   If I don't make it too pretty, if you don't step on it with dirty shoes and you know how to stitch it up if it unravels, I might be inclined to make you one too.  

No comments: