Sunday, March 24, 2013

What's for Dinner? Week #2

I've been getting really excited about LENT coming and all that this season has to offer.  I love Lent.  It grounds me, redirects me. It puts me back in my place, in a way.  I find it a very beneficial time and I don't begrudge the restricted diet, added church services and call to increase what I give to others in need.  In fact, I welcome it.  It makes me feel like I am part of something bigger than myself.  Three hundred million Orthodox Christians all across the world and I are repenting (that means we are changing our ways) and fasting these days.  I am by no means alone in this effort.  And if all 300 milllion aren't actually fasting, I am pretty sure at least 100 million are and that's not bad company.

If you are interested in what fasting means and how it's structured I am sure you can find a good answer on http://orthodoxwiki.org  I'm not going to reinvent the wheel trying to explain this topic. So assuming you understnad the fasting guidelines I will continue.. this is after all a cooking blog of sorts. 

Last week a fellow blogger ADVENTURES OF AN ORTHODOX MOM shared a helpful menu planning system she found on another blog and I thought it looked like a good idea.   I followed her instructions and adapted it to my organizational abilities and voila!  Here it is! 

 
 
 
So, really quick, I will let you know that this week I am hoping and "planning" on preparing:
  
MON- Fish Plaki in honor of The Annunciation.
WED- Veggie Soup with Fresh Bread Rolls
THURS- Spinach and Rice with Salad
FRI- Potatoes Plaki and Boca Burgers
SAT- Lenten Dolmathes
 
I have a busy week planned and I may not post them all. I might actually post other dishes that I have been working on.  But I thought if I shared my plan with you, it might help you get started too.  My biggest motivator in planning is that I don't want to get in a food rut and break the fast because I am bored or unprepared.
 
Have a blessed fast and good strength for the "good fight."

2 comments:

Liz said...

Thank you for your reflection on Lent. It's a time the Church wisely creates for us to help us live our faith intentionally, rather than keep it in our back pockets; handy when we want to pull it out but not so evident that it interferes with our world-focused everyday living. Thanks for the reminder that the Orthodox faithful are doing this together. I'm thinking that not only do we support each other, but we have a responsibility to the others to give this healing period in the Church year our best effort so that we do our part for the good of all.

Vassi said...

Liz, thank you for your comment.