Cut 3 strips of bacon in small pieces and fry until crisp. (Why so few strips?) I used 4 and I would again.
Drain bacon pieces, reserving drippings, and put to side.
Can't go wrong with fried bacon.
Sprinkle 2 T flour in bacon dripping (politically correct word for bacon grease, I suppose.) and blend well with a whisk.
Stir in 1- 32oz jar of sauerkraut, and return bacon. Transfer to slow cooker.
I wasn't sure if I should drain it or not. I've never cooked with sauerkraut before. Hmmm. Any suggestions?
Add remaining ingredients. Stir in 3 small potatoes- cubed, 2 small apples- cubed, 3T brown sugar, 1 1/2 t caraway seeds, 2.5 lbs. Polish sausage- cut into 3 in. pieces, 1/2 c water.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
So, if I were to make this again, I would...
- Ditch the potatoes and add more apples. The potatoes were VERY SALTY!
- Rinse and drain the sauerkraut to avoid more saltiness.
- Use a pork/blend sausage. I picked an all beef sausage and it was very heavy.
- Heat a cooked sausage in a pan. The sausage was too soft and mushy by the time it was all cooked. It doesn't take long to heat sausage in a pan. I can do it in the 15 minutes it takes to cook the rice.
- Just put the sauerkraut, bacon and apples in the crock pot and serve as a side to the Polish sausage and steamed rice.
- I totally forgot about a green vegetable... green beans or peas should have gone nicely. Suggestions?