Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Crock Pot Sunday- Sauerkraut, Potatoes and Polish Sausage EDITED (with pictures)

Here's what I did...  I have note at the end of how I'd totally make this recipe different if I make it again... which I might to see if my ideas is a good one.



Cut 3 strips of bacon in small pieces and fry until crisp.  (Why so few strips?)  I used 4 and I would again. 


Drain bacon pieces, reserving drippings, and put to side.
Can't go wrong with fried bacon.



Sprinkle 2 T flour in bacon dripping (politically correct word for bacon grease, I suppose.) and blend well with a whisk.



Stir in 1- 32oz jar of sauerkraut, and return bacon.  Transfer to slow cooker. 
I wasn't sure if I should drain it or not.  I've never cooked with sauerkraut before.  Hmmm.  Any suggestions?




Add remaining ingredients.  Stir in  3 small potatoes- cubed, 2 small apples- cubed, 3T brown sugar, 1 1/2 t caraway seeds, 2.5 lbs. Polish sausage- cut into 3 in. pieces, 1/2 c water.






Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 




So, if I were to make this again, I would...

  1. Ditch the potatoes and add more apples.  The potatoes were VERY SALTY!
  2. Rinse and drain the sauerkraut to avoid more saltiness.
  3. Use a pork/blend sausage.  I picked an all beef sausage and it was very heavy. 
  4. Heat a cooked sausage in a pan.  The sausage was too soft and mushy by the time it was all cooked.  It doesn't take long to heat sausage in a pan.  I can do it in the 15 minutes it takes to  cook the rice.
  5. Just put the sauerkraut, bacon and apples in the crock pot and serve as a side to the Polish sausage and steamed rice.
  6. I totally forgot about a green vegetable... green beans or peas should have gone nicely.  Suggestions?



No comments: