Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Believe, I Confess, I Look for...

 
 
 
We all have to stop a few times in our lives when we have to regroup and ask ourselves... "What in the world am I doing?"  It's the time we have to stop and look at the foundation we've established which sometimes needs repair.  Did we get too materialistic?  Are we too vain?  Have we redefined God to our own parameters? 
 
During every Liturgy, Orthodox Christians recite the Nicene Creed (325 AD) to remind us what we believe, confess and are waiting for.  When was the last time you recited the Nicene Creed while paying attention to every line?  There are times when we recite it during Liturgy that I kind of space out a bit before it's over.  It's so frustrating.  I've noticed that when I break it down in my head into an outline, I stay attentive. 
 
THE NICENE CREED

I BELIEVE

Ø  In one God

§  Father Almighty

·       Creator of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible

§  And in one Lord Jesus Christ

·         Son of God

¨      the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages

¨      Light of Light

¨      true God of true God

¨      begotten, not created

¨      of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made

·         came down from heaven (for us men and for our salvation)

·         and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary

·         and became man

·         crucified for us under Pontius Pilate

·         suffered

·         and was buried

·         And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures

·         He ascended into heaven

·         and is seated at the right hand of the Father

·         And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead

·         His kingdom shall have no end

§  And in the Holy Spirit

·         the Lord

·         the Creator of life

·         Who proceeds from the Father

·         Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified

·         Who spoke through the prophets

Ø  In one Church

§  holy

§  catholic

§  and apostolic

I confess

Ø  one baptism for the forgiveness of sins

I look

Ø  for the resurrection of the dead

Ø  and the life of the age to come

Amen.

 

3 comments:

Adamfobeth said...

thank you for sharing this. I am just a beginner so this is so helpful for me.

Vassi said...

So glad it's helpful.

Liz said...

What a wonderful suggestion. I can see how it would be helpful for maintaining attention. I think your outline brings out the meaning and teaching of the Creed. Sort of like diagramming a sentence (yes, I'll admit that I enjoyed doing that in school!). Love you! Liz